Saturday, April 4, 2015

My will is strong, My wallet is thrifty, I do still want to shop!

As someone who born, grow up and live in Jakarta, or Jakartans, I must admit that shopping has been a huge part of my daily life. Shopping in Jakartans' eyes is a routine, is something to past your time, it is a sort of recreational habit. For me, Shopping doesnt only mend to fulfill our basic needs but also a form of recreation, as Rebecca Bloomwood said on Confession of a Shopaholic, the world indeed gets better when you shop! Therefore,  I must say that consumerism in the form of shopping is the current trends among Jakartans.

Courtesy to https://lizzigoesluxe.wordpress.com/

Act of shopping itself is neither a  wrongdoing or a sin, as long as someone shop in according with their income. For those who receive income from unlimited sources, shopping and consumerism wont be that much of a problem. However, that high end society only make up small part of jakartans, Most of the jakartans who are swallowed by the consumerism trend itself came low or middle society.  who indeed have limit amount of income. So, then how do we who have limited income tackle handle this overgrowing consumerism trend? The answer is simple, it is needed to be contained and controlled.

"My will is strong, My wallet is closed, I don't want to shop " - Confession of a Shopaholic

Now, I must say that those word is way beyond overwhelming and devastating for those people who rely on shopping as their recreation and leisure (like me). So, instead, lets tweak the words, 
"My will is strong, My wallet is thrifty, I do want to shop" - petiteego

My past experience, and personal witness of the never-ending pile of "clothes that I don' want to wear anymore" make me realize that i need to get over this unhealthy habit. If you don't want to be swallowed by the wave,you should surf it, and that's how we should tackle this consumerism slash recreation problem. First, as a Jakartans, i do admit that shopping is something that i cant give up shopping just yet, if I don't want to spent too much of my resource on habitual impulse shopping. That is when I decided to start thriftily smart shopping. Basically, it is smart yet thrifty ways of shopping, I must say it is not easy and of course require some effort but i can assure you it is worth to try. Parallel to surfing the tide, first you must know the water you surf, gather basic knowledge of item (fashion items) that you want or need, about the value and the quality. After knowing the field then you can learn how much effort you should exert to surf in that water, in this context that means how to shop smartly yet thrifty.

Yes, my will is strong to dress decent and smart, yet my wallet is now thrifty and I do want to shop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment